06 January 2019 / Club News

Aber RFC remian undefeated as they win another local battle - New Tredegar ​8 Aberbargoed 15

Aber took the short trip to neighbours New Tredegar in the return fixture of the first game of the season, a game in which Aber were lucky to come away with the W.

Aber have kicked on since then winning all games, whereas New Tredegar have had a mixed bag of results – however this meant nothing and Aber knew this was going to be yet another physical local derby.

Considering the time of year the conditions were perfect, everything was set for the much anticipated rematch.

Newtra started the game brightly, putting Aber under all sorts of pressure in the opening minutes. Newtras game plan was obvious from the off, keeping the ball tight using their big ball carriers close to the breakdown – it was simple but proving effective as they seemed to get over the gain line with every carry. Despite the early onslaught, Aber came away with their line intact and finally relieved the pressure.

The dead lock was broken after New Tredegar infringed at the breakdown, giving acting outside half Lampy the chance for a shot at goal which he easily slotted over.


No less than 5 minutes later, New Tredegar were again in possession in Abers territory and ill-discipline gave the home side an immediate opportunity to level the scores.


The rest of the first half was vastly played between the 22’s, with both sets of forwards really hitting lumps out of each other. There was often space out wide for Abers speedsters but Newtra were quick to close down the 10 channel cutting off any opportunity to sling the ball wide.

In the dying minutes of the half Aber finally conjured up half a chance when Lampy escaped the rush defence and got on the outside, with 3 players outside him and the try line gaping a simple pass would have led to an almost certain try, unfortunately the cover defence came across and the chance had gone.

HT Score 3 – 3

Despite the score line, this was a very interesting game – both sides were putting their bodies on the line, there was no lack of effort out there from anybody. Brilliant to see 30 boys playing for nothing more than the love of the game and for the pride of their village.

The 2nd half kicked off in much the same vein – even though the legs were tiring the physicality seemed to increase out there. Every metre was being fiercely contested, every breakdown was a dog fight.

Aber finally started putting some phases together and worked their way into Newtras 22, after another couple of carries Aber had drawn nearly the entire defensive line in. For just the second time in the game the first receiver escapes the hard press from the 10 channel and this time gets the ball wide – Taine, who is in sensational form, worked hard from his left wing to be the extra man and crosses over in the right hand corner.

3 – 8

Newtra responded well and were always looking threatening, still gaining ground close to the rucks. They were awarded a penalty after Aber infringed at the breakdown, and put the ball into touch on Abers 22. The lineout was taken and Newtra set up a maul and began driving towards the try line – the maul was controlled brilliantly by the Newtra pack and drove all the way to the try line before crashing over. The important conversion missed and the scores were level at 8-8.

Aber were clinging on for large parts of the remaining minutes, and it looked as though if any team were going to pinch the win it would be the home side.

Newtra were again on the attack and were 5 meters from the try line. They seemed certain to score what would most likely be the winning try when white line fever kicked in – the Newtra player clearly a meter short of the line, decides against recycling and going again and instead tried to reach out for the try line, and reach again giving the referee no option other than to award Aber a penalty for double movement.

Most teams would simply relieve the pressure that had been put on them for so long by kicking the ball to touch – but not this Aber team. Lampy gets the ball 5 meters from his own line and taps and goes – breaking the first line of defence, and with a full backline outside him who read the situation, Lampy draws in the covering defender and offloads to makeshift centre Matthew “Spartan” Evans, who with still a lot to do, evades the desperate tracking defenders to go over – a match winning length of the field try. 


Aber controlled possession for the remaining minutes and closed out the game and came away with a massive victory.

At 8-8, I think everyone would have agreed the draw would have been a fair result – however the never say die attitude in the Aber ranks comes to the fore again as they make it 7 from 7 and finish the year at the top of the table.

A big negative from the day was the nasty looking injury to full back Liam Matthews – we wish you a speedy recovery.

Our next fixture sees us face Blackwood Stars at home.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments